This tutorial goes over installing Git the hard part about getting on GitHub. GitHub has excellent instructions which you should follow closely once you are signed up. This is required because you must put next weeks assignment onto GitHub, this is not optional. This is the other half of the assignment.
- Get Macports here. Click on the link Latest Macports Release link. Install in the usual way.
- Get Porticus here. Install in the usual way.
- Launch Porticus. Click on the Ports menu in the main menu. Select the last item Self Update… Then select Reload Ports from the same menu.
- The above might take a while. When it’s done select the folder on the left nav that says All Ports. In the search field in the top right type git-core.
- It should match only one item in the list below. Select it and click the Install button in the window’s toolbar. Don’t click any of the checkboxes.
It’ll take a second, as Porticus might need to install some dependencies as well. Once it’s done launch your trusty friend Terminal.app. Type git and enter on the command line prompt. You should see something like the following:
Now go and create a free account on GitHub. Follow the instructions on how to make a repository there. Email me the link to your GitHub repository containing your assignment.